The design of an infographic is very meticulous, there are lots of numbers and statistics to include and we want to communicate the information as precisely as we possibly can. I find it fascinating. I love to be precise!
Ok, well, as an artist, sometimes I’m not so precise but in the case of these graphics I certainly am. We have designed two infographics already and we are loving it.
Next time you need to create an infographic, think about us and have in mind these 5 simple Infographic design tips to help make your data look great:
1. Pick a small color palette. Don’t go overboard with the colors! I recommend using 5 colors at the most, and this is the maximum, using 2 colors as the main ones. The sample below uses 5, although there are tints of some colors, they don’t count as extra colors.
2. Decide what type of infographic you will need before starting. There are infographics with a big illustration on the background and the information adapts to the spaces and there are the one like I’m showing here with the information one after the other. It is helpful to know so the design process flows easily instead of changing in the middle of the project.
3. Make sure the text is easy to read. Infographics are not made to zoom-in or to try and figure out the text, the idea is to read and understand everything right away with the help of amazing graphics, so make sure the text doesn’t need magnification or your eyes are jumping from one place to another trying to figure out the information.
4. Make the file size small. Infographics can get long, don’t worry about how tall they are but try and make them not bigger than 700px and keep the file size low in MB so people can send it on emails or download it.
5. Make those illustrations the main attraction. humans are very visual and that’s why infographics are so successful, add illustrations that go well with the theme, try and not use photos because they can add too much clutter to your design.
And here are some places to look for Infographic design inspiration: