Welcome back to our space! Today we are sharing our design process joining the Blank Canvas Blog Hop with other wonderful artists.
We are in the middle of doing so many things like re-designing our whole site, it’s a huge job but it will bring great things. Change is always good!
Anyways, this “Blank Canvas” is about how each of us artists approach it, how do we fill this sometimes-dreaded blank canvas?
My sister and me have similar approaches.
Here is our design process when for our surface patterns, this is the “Hearts in a Row” Collection:
1. We think of the theme of the collection before approaching any tool, for that we get inspired on our daily life, in this example I wanted to design with hearts but adding some other elements that go together well like sweets and coffee. Trends are something that we look, at closely too.
2. A word brainstorm is always very helpful, we think of words that are related to what we will be designing, just write down whatever pops in our minds at the time (Brainstorming writing comes out in Spanish most of the time!)
3. We doodle away wherever we find space or in our main notebook, sometimes doodling and drawing is another brainstorm because even though we’re trying to follow a theme we may let ourselves draw whatever comes out if we feel like it. For this design we also wanted those geometric shapes and arrows to go in it.
4. Sometimes in the design process we scan the drawings to the computer or sometimes we just redraw them in the computer, in this case we didn’t scan them because they were pretty easy to re-draw.
5. We also spend some time in the internet looking for images that might help us, in this collection some croissants and spoons were helpful to look at. Our main softwares that use to draw are Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop, we each have a favorite, my sis Dariana loves Photoshop and she is THE MASTER! and me, I love Illustrator and I’m not sure if I’m a master yet, LOL! But I can handle it pretty well 🙂
6. Now on the computer we might pick a color pallette that we want to use and we start drawing, our canvas is square and we cannot design in the computer without the Wacom tablet! That would be impossible! We both have a Bamboo tablet.
7. We spend a lot of time in the computer drawing the basics and then playing around with the layout. For the hearts collection we started with the hearts pattern (top left in the collage) and then the blue pattern with the arrows. Then the sweets pattern and then the other more simple patterns.
Deciding on the final color combinations is no easy task but if we stick to 5 or 6 colors it helps a lot and we try to see that the collections have variety and not all the designs look similar. This one was all done in Adobe Illustrator but some of them are done with a mix or only in Photoshop.
This bottom one was done all in Photoshop and we used the same original pencil strokes in the canvas drawing:
After reviewing our design process we are ready to offer a GIVEAWAY of some of our products! Use the Rafflecopter below to in a set of Dari Design Studio Notebooks and follow along the blog hop for more artist’s processes and more giveaways!
Sept 10 … Cynthia Patton
Sept 11 … Jennyann Carthern
Sept 12 … Friday Frenzy: Tori Deaux Karen Friedland Kiala Givehand
Sept 13 … Jan Blount
Sept 14 … Effy Wild
Sept 15 … Virginia Simpson-McGruder
Sept 16 … Dari Design Studio <——YOU ARE HERE
Sept 17 … Susan Miller
Sept 18 … Grace Howes
Sept 19 … Tori Deaux
Sept 20 … Kiala Givehand
Sept 21 … Martin Arkenstone
Sept 22 … Nicole Piar